Sunday, August 4, 2019

7 Tips for Mom during Big Family Sleep Overs



We just had some family staying with us the past two days and for how much I worried about certain things that could go wrong, that didn't happen, I decided to share with you some quick helpful tips to ensure you're ready to roll with the punches and enjoy the moment.

Ben's brother and his family were back here visiting from where they now live, Puerto Rico. All together that's a family of 6. I love them dearly but we also have our two sons, my brother who lives with us, and I run an inhome daycare. I was wondering how things were going to play out. I like to have an idea of what is happening and how much to plan for but when you get two households together, its not always organized. 😜 Good people but our two families seem to ride different waves 😜

The thing about this visit is we had no idea who was all staying with us or when. First day we planned 6 people and got one adult with 3 kids (a newbie arrived with them! Their cousin from their moms side. super good boy!) then of course we had some family come over and see them. The second day, my brother inlaw had to run errands and the kids got to hang here with me and the group! When he came back with his wife during a busy time of day for me with some kids getting picked up, the talk of added visitors was in full swing.
Now comes to the moment where I'm scrambling to think where is everyone going to sleep?! Do we have enough food? Someone needs to pick up more milk! 

We ended up having a very nice visit. The kids had fun, we had enough food, Ben and I were able to enjoy nice conversation by the bonfire with my brother and sister in law. The kids slept good and although Ben had to work the next morning, he made coffee for us and I was able to make everyone a nice French toast breakfast before the kids took one last dip in the pond and they packed up and left. Leaving my sons and I in complete chillness....and missing them a great deal.

Here are my tips to help you roll with the punches when having family sleep overs that have no plan

1) Remember it goes by fast. Breathe and let the children make memories! (and moms and dads of course!)

2) Plan One big meal for dinner that kids all enjoy (I went with spaghetti with garlic bread! Everyone loved it and kids asked for seconds and thirds!) Plan One big breakfast. The other mornings the kids can just have toast or cereal! Doesn't need to be fancy and they're all fed!

3) Worried won't have enough to drink? Can't go wrong with water! HYDRATE! Specially during these summer months. We get our water from a well so its clear and refreshing....and FREE! I just refill their water bottles and they can carry them around and get a drink whenever. Helpful shopper tip: when you buy the "good2grow juice" with the fun character twist tops, keep them! I just reuse them and the kids love them!

4) Can't go wrong with popsicles. I planned that atleast one day during their visit, I'd have enough popsicles for every child while they played outside. BOMB POPS! (I had 10 in one day with my daycare, nieces, nephews, my youngest son and my brother in laws nephew who came along)

5) Kids can entertain themselves but lets face it, in todays generation they act bored. We did a shark puzzle then I said get your swim suits on! Water play, rather it be a sprinkler, pool, or water balloons. They'll love it! Luckily we have a pond so doing jumps off the dock keeps them occupied for awhile. My nieces just painted their nails and went on the swings. Don't always have to plan a big activity or place to go.

6) Everyone can AGREE ON THESE SHOWS; the PBS channel. Duck Tales (we watch the original), Phineas and Ferb then of course I have never met a child or adult who doesn't like Scooby Doo! 

7) Take pictures! Please put your phone down, enjoy the conversation that is in front of you but when your kids are making memories and bonding with their cousins, get updated photos atleast once a year if you can! 





No comments:

Post a Comment