Friday, May 31, 2019

5 years


The sun has risen in the sky, birds of all kinds are making their beautiful sounds from all directions. The bumble bees have woken up and started buzzing around the cherry blossoms and the school bus has just drove by. Usually I'd be getting my son on that bus but he gets a ride from his grandma some mornings and this morning happens to be one of them, giving me just a little extra ME TIME! I'm celebrating by enjoying a peaceful quiet moment on my deck, drinking coffee with my girl Goose. Our half husky half boxer 5 year old dog.

As I catch a hummingbird zooming through the tree branches and other birds compete with the red winged black bird for bird seed, I can't help but remember the first year in our home, back when the red winged black bird use to dive bomb our heads. While we were pregnant with our son, Maverick, we were looking for a new home. We were living in a decent two bedroom, two bathroom townhouse in a nice town but shoulder to shoulder to nosy neighbors. We not only wanted more privacy, but we needed more space and an extra bedroom so a 7 year old Jonah could still have his own room.

Ben found our home driving around on his bike (motorcycle) one evening and immediately put an offer on the table assuring me after he got home that it was perfect for us. Over the next couple months while I was still pregnant, we'd drive past. Started eating out at the houses local food places. We had the house taken from us with a better offer, just to get it back with the other buyers bad luck, then lost it a second time just to luck out again and find out the buyer was just buying it to flip it a little bit. Eventually, while in labor May 1st 2014, Ben got a phone call saying we could pick up the keys. Ben told him he'd come for the keys the next day. Our family helped us move while I was still in the hospital with Maverick.

We were officially moved in by May 3rd and I couldn't have felt more blessed. New home, new baby, help from family, and OUR PRIVACY! I felt  such bliss that whole first year. Besides the slight fear that comes with a newborn and every terrifying story you hear on the news! I couldn't get much sleep though. Not because Maverick was up all night...no, he slept through the night very well. I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop staring at him. When he was a baby we had him sleeping in a bassinet right next to my side of the bed. I couldn't help but risk it when I had to lay my hand on his belly every hour to make sure he was still breathing!

We took our first year slow. Giving ourselves time to plan what all needed to be done with the house. One big job was we needed to finish adding on a bedroom for Jonah downstairs. That first year while Maverick slept in our room, Jonah slept in Maverick's room. Still, we took our time. We even took on a puppy against my wishes, having a dog and cats already and not to mention the newborn! It was still a great year, spending as much time as possible outside. Due to our nosy neighbors at the previous house, we didn't get much peace in our old backyard. I was thrilled to lay with Maverick as he just stared at the green trees, blue skies, white clouds floating by. Imagining what he must've thought of it all experiencing it so fresh! Other than trying my best to keep him protected from the  dang mosquitoes all summer long, it was a magical time everyday. Maverick was such a good baby. Didn't cry much, eager to learn and eager to get moving. With having a big brother, you can imagine that he felt he needed to catch up. That motivation getting him to walk by 10 months for sure! He was a pro by his first birthday. Dancing, walking, running, climbing and of course a lot of mini heart attacks for this mama!

Now that big brother is going to be 13 this summer and that baby is 5 years old, we are still excited for our everyday adventures but entering a new set of fears. The preteen is always looking cranky and just had dumped his first girlfriend (to which this mom says, WOOHOO! GET OUTTA HERE!) Then of course we have the 5 year old. I named him Maverick to be wildly independent and boy did he come out living up to his name but now that 5 year old is still looking up to the big brother and thinks hes 15 trapped in a 5 year olds body. Our peaceful mornings of snuggles and cartoons have turned into me having to drag him out of bed early, get him dressed and fed and out the door for school. The easy baby that never cried started giving me the tantrums when he was 3 years old and they haven't stopped yet but we do seem to be getting through them easier and less often. Then of course this house! We've been here for 5 years, time to get our butts moving for all the jobs we planned. (and yes, if you're wondering, Jonah was in his own room shortly before Maverick's first birthday!)

Well, I hear a car pulling in. Our daycare friends are arriving and its time to start the day! I did start this blog stating that I was enjoying a peaceful MOMENT. This mom doesn't get much ME TIME! Hope everyone has a great Friday and enjoys some peaceful moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment