Tuesday, May 28, 2019

To post or not To post

Here I am trying to start a blog and completely torn about sharing my children's faces on social media. Yes, I post pictures of my sons or nieces and nephews on Instagram or snapchat but I've always been a private account. I only add friends and family with the occasional mom account after looking up and down their pages before allowing them to see my page. I use to not allow any strangers  but with wanting to start this blog, I feel I need to make myself more public. The tricky thing is I don't want to be so public, which is obviously a big problem when at the same time I want to get myself out there.

I've had an Instagram since late 2012. Since then I've posted beautiful memories of my life and my loved ones. Ben was very against social media and showing our kids faces and I was always on the fence. When our son Maverick was born I didn't post anything! It wasn't until our son was 6 months old that I posted a picture and from then, its just a picture here and there every few weeks if any.

Recently I came to terms with knowing that if I want people to come to my blog, I need to put myself out there more, something I never wanted to do. I get plenty of requests from people wanting to follow me but I decline. I just can't get myself fully comfortable with many people being able to see pictures of my children or my personal life. Then why start a blog right? Well the reason is, like anything, if you put the work in, something can be successful. There are women out there (and dads!) that are able to be full time parents to their kids and still make an income for their family....through blogging! I figured why not try? I know not everyone can wham bam become a successful blogger but if I could, how swell. How easy! NOT! One big cut back, I'm so nervous about sharing too much.

I read blogs that are very detailed and personal where it seems like they don't hold much back then I see other blogs that are open and personal but keep their kids faceless and some even nameless. Either way it has been fun connecting with women around the country. Some chats I've had with people are short and sweet while other conversations I have had are more open and sharing.

Knowing that as of right now, I want to see how it can go, I deleted at least 20 or more pictures of our kids that showed their faces from my Instagram to open myself up to more followers.  I'm finding myself a little sad that I took down so many pictures mainly because it was such a convenient place to hold their memories and now I need to print the pictures off and hope to not lose them physically. The other half of me is ready to walk to the deep end of blogging and let myself explore more openly to the experience and possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment